Level of Effort: Super Easy
Cost of Ingredients: $1.01 per sandwich
Nutrition Info: 246 calories, 4.1 g fat, 9.9 g protein, 3.8 g fiber, 42.4 g carbs
This is the first recipe posted on this site and I don’t want you to get the wrong idea.
Not all the recipes on the cafe’s menu will be as nutritious as this one (sweets are too good to completely ignore).
What each recipe has to have, is a bold ingredient to open the door to what’s possible when cooking at college or the years that follow.
Like substituting in “RRPH” (roasted red pepper hummus) for the “B” (bacon) in a traditional B.L.T sandwich.
The substitution may excite you, surprise you, make you say yum or even yuck. Or maybe it just makes you a little more curious about other possibilities you can put on your toasted sandwich!!!
More quick and easy food possibilities
Are you struggling with meal ideas while living the dream at college?
Want a good starting point?
15-Minute Money Saving Meals for Students offers fifteen inexpensive and easy ways to let your cooking abilities shine – without burning down the place.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Lettuce and Tomato on a Toasted Bagel
Creamy roasted red pepper hummus spread on a toasted bagel topped with lettuce and quartered grape tomatoes.
MAKES: 1 Sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: none
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 regular plain bagel (sliced in half) [$0.41]
- 3 grape tomatoes (or a tomato slice) [$0.09]
- 2 tbsp store-bought roasted red pepper hummus, divided [$0.48]
- 1 leaf lettuce [$0.03]
- black pepper
HOW TO MAKE
- Toast bagel slices.
- While bagel is toasting, cut grape tomatoes in quarters (or cut a slice of tomato).
- Spread about 1 tbsp of hummus over each toasted bagel slice.
- Top one side of bagel with lettuce and tomato. Lightly sprinkle with black pepper. Place second toasted bagel slice on top.
- Cut bagel in half like they do in the sandwich shops!
Want to get the next C.R.C Recipe here, or TO GO?
Subscribe to the cafe’s free Weekly Updates to get recipes and cooking solutions to-go. Comes with a free cup of recipes on the side!
Thanks for visiting the cafe. Cheers!