Perhaps it is time to stop filling our plates with a basic ham and cheese sandwich whenever there are few spare slices of deli ham in the meat keeper.
Because, do you know what pairs really well with ham? That’s right, apples and mustard.
So, here at the Café we decided to engage these ingredients in a three-way on a toasted bun under a blanket of gooey melted Cheddar cheese.
Watching the cheese melt under the soft glow of the toaster oven’s broiler is a trip.
And, inhaling this toasted ham-and-cheese, laced with apple-mustard sauce, offers enough reasons to never settle for a ho-hum ham and cheese sandwich again. 😉
Tip: If you require the oven to toast your sandwich – and don’t want to clean a big bulky baking sheet afterwards- consider using our favorite piece of cookware for toasting, roasting or broiling single servings: the sizzle platter. Learn more about it here on the Café’s “Must Haves” page.
Almost Narcotic, Toasted Ham & Cheese
MAKES: 2 Servings
Ready In: 10 to 12 minutes
- 1/4 portion of ciabatta bread, sliced in half (or use a sandwich bun)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 slices thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
HOW TO MAKE
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush each cut side of bread with olive oil. Place each half, cut side up, on a toaster oven baking sheet (or a sizzle platter if using the oven). Broil until bread begins to brown on top, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from toaster oven (or oven) and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together apple sauce and mustard. Spread equal amounts over each toasted half of bread. Top each with equal amounts of ham and cheese. Broil in the toaster oven (or oven) until cheese melts and begins to brown in spots, about 2 to 3 minutes.
🌳 Waste Less: To reduce our consumption of paper towels (and save money and trees), we use reusable kitchen bar mops to wipe countertops and clean-up small messes. You’ll find the ones we use on our “must haves” page here.
Perhaps the eats on your plate will be even tastier after reading our 101 Guide To Cook Extra Delicious Eats – Even Without a Recipe.
You also get a Free Cup Of Recipes! It’s our way of saying thanks for sampling our updates.
Hi I’m Brent. Thanks for visiting the Café! If you are ever short on easy recipe ideas (and cash flow) consider adding the Cafe’s e-cookbook 15-Minute Money Saving Meals for Students: to your files for less than a toasted ham and cheese!
One thought on “Almost Narcotic Toasted Ham & Cheese”