Level of Effort: Easy
Cost of Ingredients: $1.44
Nutrition Info (1 half): 189 calories, 8.4 g fat, 9.2 g protein, 3.7 g fiber, 19 g carbs
Chelsea over at The College Crumb recently asked a great question on her blog. She was interested in knowing how her readers dealt with eating poorly during stressful times (a.k.a. mid-terms). It made me think about how I’ve taken comfort in eating junk during times when my energy-depleted brain could have used something nutritious.
Recently my eating habits have changed, for the better, by applying a method Meb Keflezighi (2014 Boston Marathon winner) uses to train to win marathons.
Meb sets a routine by designating blocks of time in his calendar for training, recovery and nutrition. Here’s what he says;
Now I designate times in my calendar for work, play and eating a proper diet.
During each time block I only focus on the designated task. To remove distracting thoughts, while doing work I find difficult, I pay close attention to my breathing (like you would in a yoga class or on a tough run). It has improved my focus and I accomplish more throughout the day. It has also allowed me to designate time for two things I consider important in my life; recharging after a long day and eating a proper diet.
Is eating nutritious food during stressful times important to you? What if you designated 15 minutes on your calendar to prepare a healthy meal? There are, of course, recipes to help you accomplish this and I’ll have 15 of them for you soon (stayed tuned). For now, I have these tasty super-sized Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins! All you need is a microwave, a few key ingredients, and 10 minutes of your time.
With sweet potato as the main ingredient, they’re nutritionally light-years ahead of Ramen Noodles, Hot Pockets or any fast-food meal combo. Top with melted cheese and you’ll have nutritious comfort food at your finger-tips and won’t have to worry about running a marathon to work it off!
1 medium sweet potato / $0.27
2 tbsp salsa / $0.23
1 tbsp low-fat sour cream / $0.06
1/2 tsp chili powder / $0.05
1/4 cup black beans or thawed frozen corn / $0.11
1 green onion, chopped (optional) / $0.16
1/2 cup shredded cheese / $0.56
- Pierce holes in sweet potato with a fork in several places. Place on a plate and microwave on high power until tender inside, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, mix together salsa, sour cream and chili powder. Remove cooked sweet potato from microwave and let cool.
- Cut the sweet potato in half (once cool enough to handle). Scoop out inside flesh with a spoon and place in a separate bowl (save the sweet potato skins). Mash sweet potato with a fork.
- Add salsa mixture, beans, half the green onions and half the cheese to mashed sweet potato. Stir well.
- Spoon equal amounts of sweet potato mixture back into sweet potato skins.
- Top with leftover green onions and cheese.
Save your fav recipes, stock up on cooking skills & help yourself to a free cup of recipes. It’s on me! Click anywhere in the box below to get started.
Thanks for stopping in at the cafe. Cheers!
2 thoughts on “Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins: Microwave Monday”
Reblogged this on The College Crumb.