Level of Effort: Super Easy
Cost of Ingredients: $2.06
Nutrition Info (1 helping): 216 calories, 2.5 g fat, 7.7 g protein, 4 g fiber, 40.8 g carbs
This sweet fruit dessert, topped with creamy Greek yogurt, is for those of you at the cafe who have worked your ass off over the summer to stay in shape or drop a few unwanted pounds.
It’d truly suck to have all your hard effort flushed down the toilet in the first month back at college by falling victim to the freshman 15, sophomore 20, junior 20 or senior 20. Depriving yourself of dessert is a tough strategy to follow if you have a nagging sweet tooth like I do.
It’s why I love this sweet and creamy option! To make it, you simply toss mango chunks with lime sugar and top it with coconut flavored Greek yogurt. It’ll keep your sweet tooth occupied while it’s many nutrients reinforce the lunges, long runs or power yoga sessions you sweated-out over the summer!
The lime sugar is simply a mixture of granulated sugar and lime zest. You can also make lemon sugar using lemon zest (good with blueberries) or orange sugar using the zest of an orange (tasty on strawberries and sliced bananas)
You can just as easily tailor the Greek Yogurt topping with one of the many different flavors available in grocery stores.
I chose coconut because I’m nuts for coco-nuts and it goes well with mangoes!
To save time and money, buy frozen mango chunks instead of fresh mangoes. They’re ripe, already cubed and can be stored in your freezer for up to three months. And since Greek yogurt can be pricey, only splurge on it when it goes on sale.
Dig in, and thanks for stopping by the cafe! Cheers!
Enter your email to become part of the College Recipe Cafe Community and receive free updates, including a cup of 10 Easy Recipes for College Students. It’s on me!
Greek Yogurt and Mango with Lime Sugar
Chunks of mango tossed with lime sugar and topped with coconut Greek yogurt.
MAKES: 1 helping
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: none Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks [$1.05]
- 1 small lime [$0.30]
- 1 tsp granulated sugar [$0.01]
- 2 big spoonful’s coconut Greek yogurt [$0.70]
HOW TO MAKE
- Place mango in a microwave save bowl. Defrost in the microwave until slightly thawed, about 20 seconds. Set aside.
- Grate lime, using the small holes of a box grater to produce about 1/4 tsp of lime zest.
- Pour sugar into a small bowl and add lime zest. Crush the two together using the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle lime sugar over mango. Gently tossed to coat all pieces
- Top with yogurt and extra lime zest.