Level of Effort: Easy
Cost of Ingredients: $1.47
Nutrition Info (1 sandwich): 402 calories, 22 g fat, 15.5 g protein, 4 g fiber, 34.5 g carbs
C’mon in! Today at the cafe I have a new recipe for all you grilled cheese connoisseurs!
This recipe began with me holding a jar of roasted red peppers in one hand (my chin in the other) contemplating how they’d taste in a grilled cheese. After a while my thoughts shifted from grilled sandwich to fries. I must have been in some kind of crazy comfort food trance. Who knows?
Roasted red peppers have a velvety texture and are extra sweet! They also come with benefits which include powering up your immune system and keeping your skin looking like a Hollywood star. Roasting your own red peppers is pretty straight forward but it takes time.
Thankfully you can buy them already roasted in a jar.
To make this grilled cheese, simply slice the bright roasted red peppers and surround them with mounds of shredded cheese on your sandwich.
Once the bread is golden brown on the outside and the cheese is melted on the inside, you have an option. Eat as a sandwich or fries.
I was craving fries so that’s the route I took! And I found with the sweet roasted red peppers inside there was no need for ketchup. The peppers look like drops of ketchup anyways! So what will it be for you…sandwich or fries?
Roasted Red Pepper Grilled Cheese Fries
A grilled cheese posing as fries with healthy sweet roasted red bell peppers acting as ketchup.
MAKES: 1 Sandwich or about 8 Fries
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 6 minutes Total Time: 11 minutes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese [$0.56]
- 2 slices bread [$0.27]
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine [$0.24]
- 1 jarred roasted red bell pepper, sliced in half [$0.40]
HOW TO MAKE
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Cut roasted bell pepper into slices.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-low heat.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, when skillet is hot.
- Top bread slice with a handful of cheese, followed by sliced peppers and more cheese. Top with second slice of bread, butter side up
- Cook until slice of bread on bottom is golden brown on the outside, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip to cook the other side.
- Eat as a sandwich or slice into fries!