Level of Effort: Easy Does It
Cost of Ingredients: $4.78
Nutrition Info (one muffin): 170 calories, 5.5 g fat, 3.0 g protein, 2.9 g fiber, 28.5 g carbs
I was wondering how many students bake muffins (from scratch) at college.
I know there are a few of you college bakers out there sporting the oven mitts but I can’t begin to guess how many.
If baking is something you haven’t tried before, summertime is a great time to give it a go since you have access to ingredients you may not stock at college.
And what better way to learn how to bake muffins than with beer!!!
Although in this case the beer will be poured in the muffin batter instead of down your throat.
The bonus of baking muffins is they’re fairly straight forward to make.
Follow the measurements in the recipe, mix the batter, bake at the recommended temperature (within the given times) and you’ll end up with the same Beer Berry Muffins I made here in the cafe’s kitchen.
The only “X” factor in this recipe is the berry beer you use.
I used Melville’s Strawberry Craft Lager (found it in the import beer section at the liquor store). It was the only strawberry flavored beer I could find and thankfully it happens to taste damn good!
But don’t sweat it if you can’t find Melville’s. Go with whatever berry beer you can find.
Then simply measure, mix and bake.
And maybe after tasting these bold flavored muffins you’ll be convinced to brew a few more batches when you move back to college.
Don’t forget to pack the muffin pan!
Beer Berry Muffins
Moist strawberry muffins made with strawberry craft lager
MAKES: 12 Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour [$0.28]
- 1 cup wheat bran (look for it in the cereal aisle) [$0.24]
- 1½ tsp baking powder [$0.04]
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon [$0.29]
- ½ tsp salt [$0.01]
- 1 egg [$0.40]
- 1 bottle (275 ml / 4.3 oz) Melville’s Strawberry Craft Lager [$2.25]
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (packed) [$0.31]
- ¼ cup canola oil [$0.32]
- 1 tsp vanilla [$0.14]
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen strawberries [$0.50]
HOW TO MAKE
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine flour, wheat bran, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together egg, beer, sugar, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until moistened.
- Gently stir in ½ cup strawberries.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin pan cups. Top each with remaining strawberries.
- Bake in a 375º F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
Save your fav recipes, stock up on cooking skills & help yourself to a free cup of recipes. It’s on me! Click anywhere in the box below to get started.
Thanks for stopping in at the cafe. Cheers!