Here at the Café, we love when asparagus is in season because it allows us to turn an inexpensive package of instant ramen noodles into this flavorful Fried Ramen with Asparagus that tastes and looks…well…sorta gourmet.
After a taste, you might feel the same.
When asparagus season comes to an end, you might even look at the other instant noodles packages in your cupboard and lament:
“You were wonderful last month, I miss making you with asparagus already.”
But it doesn’t have to be that way because you can freeze fresh asparagus when it is in season. Here’s how:
- Bring a pan of water to a boil, and have a bowl of ice water ready at the side
- Boil asparagus in the water for 3 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and immediately place in the ice water. Drain and pat dry on paper towels, or use a kitchen bar mop (to waste less).
- Lay asparagus on a tray and freeze until frozen solid. Transfer to a freezer bag, and ensure you remove any excess air before sealing. Use within a year.
Without frozen asparagus it’s back to slurping the same old instant noodles…instead of passionately preparing (and digging into) these tasty gourmet looking EATS – that can be made on the cheap!
Stay Up To Date With Flavorful Ways To Eat Well – Using Ingredients You Already Have!
The first step is the know what you will find inside Your Flavor Guide To: Fix Any Eats That Taste Bland. Give our updates a try and we will send you the link to download your free copy!
Fried Ramen with Asparagus
Instant noodles never tasted so good!
Makes: 1 serving ~ Time: 5 minutes to prepare, 5 minutes to cook
- 1 package (85 g) instant noodles (chicken flavor works well)
- 2 tsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 5 stems asparagus
- Lemon slice
- Crunch up noodles in the package. Open package and pour noodles in a bowl. Place the seasoning packet to the side. Fill a kettle with 2 cups of water. Turn on to bring water to a boil.
- While kettle is heating the water, snap tough bottoms off each asparagus stem with your hands (about an inch from the bottom). Discard the bottoms. Chop each asparagus into bite sized pieces.
- Pour boiling water from kettle into bowl with noodles. Add just enough water to cover noodles. Let sit for 2 minutes and drain.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add cooked noodles and chopped asparagus. Mix and let cook for 2 minutes. Add seasoning from packet and 1 Tbsp of water. Stir to coat noodles and asparagus.
- Drizzle with juice from lemon slice. Enjoy
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Hi I’m Brent. Thanks for visiting the Café! If you are ever short on easy recipe ideas (and cash flow) feel free to check out the Cafe’s e-cookbook 15-Minute Money Saving Meals for Students: – costs less than an avocado bagel and coffee combo!