Level of Effort: Easy
Cost of Ingredients: $3.49
Nutrition Info (1 helping): 356 calories, 0.4 g fat, 1.8 g protein, 3.5 g fiber, 46.2 g carbs
Think the “freshman 15” is just a myth and won’t happen to you?
Maybe it won’t. But I remember seeing it happen to a few of my first year friends. The extra weight tends to sneak up on you once classes, papers and mid-terms shift into high gear.
MINIMIZING PROCESSED SUGAR IS A GOOD PLACE TO START
One way to satisfy a nagging sweet tooth is to eat natural sweets without added sugar.
Start by slicing a handful of red seedless grapes (or fresh ripe strawberries) in half.
Peel and slice a banana, add some canned fruit (so you don’t have to do any more peeling and slicing) and toss it together in a bowl. Finish with a few squeezes of fresh lime juice, a spoonful of honey and a splash of orange juice!
A HEALTHY SNACK WITH NO EXTRA BAGGAGE
This fruit salad is sweeter than a processed pop tart and more satisfying than a chubby doughnut.
Keep a bowl in the fridge as a nutritious breakfast, a vitamin-rich afternoon snack or healthy evening dessert!
“Freshman 15” Free Fruit Salad
Healthy snack to satisfy any sweet tooth!
MAKES: 4 Helpings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: none
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 can (398 ml / 14 oz) pineapple chunks [$1.19]
- 1 can ( 284 ml / 10 oz) Mandarin Oranges, drained [$0.85]
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved [$0.16]
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled, halved and sliced [$0.50]
- 1 large banana, sliced [$0.23]
- 1 tbsp honey [$0.12]
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice [$0.30]
- 1/4 cup orange juice [$0.14]
HOW TO MAKE
- Pour pineapples with juice in a large bowl or container.
- Add oranges, grapes, kiwi, banana, honey, lime juice and orange juice.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Chill before eating!
Save your fav recipes, stock up on cooking skills & help yourself to a free cup of recipes. It’s on me! Click anywhere in the box below to get started.
Thanks for stopping in at the cafe. Cheers!