Level of Effort: Easy
Cost of Ingredients: $0.70 for 1 meal
Nutrition Info: 469 calories, 22.3 g fat, 10.9 g protein, 3.8 g fiber, 57.9 g carbs
While making this recipe I tried to recall a time I bought asparagus while living off-campus at university.
I drew a blank.
Part of me isn’t surprised. It’s not exactly typical college food and the fresh stuff isn’t available (at least at a decent price) until April. Another part of me thinks “man did I miss out”. Of course this is coming from a guy who likes asparagus.
Asparagus has endless health benefits and is as easy (if not easier) to prepare than a package of Ramen. Use the cooking instructions from a package of instant noodles for cooking asparagus and the asparagus stems would be perfectly cooked.
It’s also super cheap when in season (I paid $1.61 for a big bunch) and you can freeze what you’re not able to use in zip lock bags.
To make this recipe you simply snap off the tough asparagus bottoms with your hands, chop it up and add it to cooked Ramen in a skillet. Add the seasoning packet, fry it up and you’re done. Yeah it’s that easy!
A crazy good meal (if you like asparagus) that can be made in less than 10 minutes and for under $1!
Like I said earlier…man did I miss out.
MAKES: Enough for 1
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 7 minutes
- 1 package (85 g) chicken flavor instant noodles [$0.21]
- 2 tsp vegetable or canola oil [$0.05]
- 5 stems asparagus [$0.39]
- Lemon slice (optional) [$0.05]
HOW TO MAKE
- Crunch up noodles in the package. Open package and pour noodles in a bowl. Place the seasoning packet to the side.
- Fill a kettle with 2 cups of water. Turn on to bring water to a boil.
- While kettle is heating up water, snap tough bottoms off each asparagus stem with your hands (about an inch up). Discard the bottoms. Chop each asparagus into bite sized pieces
- Pour boiling water from kettle into bowl with noodles. Add just enough water to cover noodles. Let sit for 2 minutes and drain.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add cooked noodles and chopped asparagus. Mix and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add seasoning from packet and 1 tbsp of water. Stir to coat noodles and asparagus.
- Drizzle with juice from lemon slice.
Save your fav recipes, stock up on cooking skills & help yourself to a free cup of recipes. It’s on me! Click anywhere in the box below to get started.
Thanks for stopping in at the cafe. Cheers!